Saturday, June 29, 2013

Strawberries on tacos?

I hate cooking, so when I do make something special and it turns out good I get all excited and sometimes end up posting a picture of the creation on Facebook. Such was the case last night. After I posted I had a few "WTF?" type responses, a few positive ones and a couple of messages asking for the recipe. So, without further ado, here is is.


Grilled Chicken Tacos with Strawberry Salsa. (NOT an original creation).

1 1/4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts. (I used 3, but that almost wasn't enough, so maybe go with 4)
1 tsp. Chili powder
1 tsp. Canola oil
12 fajita-size flour tortillas and Olive oil cooking spray. (I used regular bottled olive oil)
8 oz. Strawberries, hulled and chopped up/about 1 1/2 c. (I threw in more till it looked good to me)
2 med. tomatoes, chopped
1 med. avocado, chopped (I would use 2)
1 sm. shallot, finely chopped
1 lime (more if you want to garnish with lime wedges)
1/2 c. crumbled feta cheese (I used Gorgonzola and it was SO good!)
2c. cilantro leaves (I didn't actually use any, but they are pretty in it)

Rub down the chicken with oil and chili powder. Grill chicken, covered, 12 to 15 minutes or until cooked through. (165°F ), turning over once halfway through. When done let stand at least 5 minutes. If you don't have a grill or can't grill them cook the chicken in a pan on the stove with a bit of olive oil.

Spray tortillas with cooking spray and grill 1 to 2 minutes on each side or fry in a pan like I did.

In a bowl stir together strawberries, tomatoes, avocado, shallot and 1/8 tsp. salt. Squeeze juice of half a lime into mixture and stir everything together. (Here's where I deviated and skipped the salt, instead adding a few pieces of crumbled bacon. It was awesome!)

Thinly slice chicken into strips and serve in tortillas. Top with the strawberry salsa and sprinkle cheese and cilantro on top.

My husband ate his with some sour cream as well and said it was really good. I was surprised at how much we both enjoyed this. I was a bit leary of strawberries and tomatoes together, but it was outstanding!



No comments:

Post a Comment