Friday, May 4, 2012

Hair chalking!

If you know me, or read my blog, you know my obsession with changing my hair color. Any time I do a funky color I get a lot of compliments, usually followed by "I wish I could do that!". Usually I'm not entirely sure why people can't do it but sometimes they give a reason, work wont allow it, parents will freak out, husband would divorce them. I understand the work excuse, kids are suppose to freak out their parents, and if hubby divorces you over your hair color you didn't need the SOB in the first place.

Well ladies, I am about to blow your MIND! O.K., not really. I am going to show you how you can have some funky highlights without committing to a permanent color that will make your mother cry.

I give you HAIR CHALKING! (Insert inspirational awwwwww music here). Alright, alright, it's not a new thing. It's been done a lot, I certainly didn't make it up.

First you will need a few things. A spray bottle, some colored chalk, and a flat iron (for hair, not the steak). I used cheap sidewalk chalk. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go out and draw on my driveway with it the next sunny, dry day we have. I want to do it now, but it's raining. :P



Start out with dry hair, styled as you usually would. Skip the hairspray for now. Take a section of hair you want to color and spray with water to saturate it. 


Now take the color of your choice and "color" your hair with it. You're literally going to rub the chalk back and forth over the wet piece of hair. The more you rub, the more color you get. I ended up wetting the piece of chalk also. 


You can use one color, or as many as you want. 



Dry your hair either with your hair dryer or wait till it dries naturally. I'm impatient, I used the hair dryer. Try to avoid brushing your hair. Once dry take a flat iron and use it on the colored parts to set the color better. 


VOILA! This would really look amazing on blonde hair. My hair is heavily layered and would probably look better on long pieces of hair. I brushed mine right after taking this last picture and the color really came out. It left a light chalky look. I wonder why, maybe it has something to do with it being chalk. My hair now feels kinda gross where I chalked it. I would imagine if you didn't wash it out you will wake up with a colorful pillowcase. 

True story time. 

I was planning on doing this today and blogging about it. I had been wanting to do it all week, but I have been too busy (lazy). Today was the perfect day. If not doing this I would be going through my clothes in my packed closet and I really didn't want to do that, this was way more fun. I still need to clean out my closet, it's bad. It would appear I have a clothes addiction too. Crap, another 12 step program needed. But I digress.. While surfing Facebook this morning I came across an add for COLORSMASH. I am now so excited to see this product! It must be fate that I see this when I had plans for coloring my hair with a piece of chalk. I can't wait! 








No comments:

Post a Comment