Sunday, November 18, 2012

Oh Christmas Tree

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.. at least in my house it is. The Christmas decorations are officially up and glowing. I know, I know, it's not even Thanksgiving yet. Well, it's close enough and I have a hard time waiting. I. Love. Christmas. This year I was even more excited to get things started as I finally bought the white tree I've always wanted. I know some people don' t like white trees, and that's o.k. I happen to love them.

Each year I decorate my tree and people oooh and ahhh over it. I'm then asked to decorate their tree's. Seriously, I have no idea why. I'm not some professional tree decorator. I don't do anything special, or try extra hard. I'm not following some designers directions or mapping out where each decoration is going to go. I just put them on the tree. I don't know what it is people like about my trees, I've certainly seen much better. So here is how I decorate my tree, and how I've changed things up from year to year.

When my husband and I first moved into our own house I was so excited to have my own tree and decorations. I quickly decided I would have a color themed tree. Red and silver. I love, love, love red. Red and gold are very popular and I found many more things in red and gold than I did in red and silver, but I'm not a fan of gold. Through the years I collected ornaments and eventually ended up with this..


Some time later I ended up in some store with decorated trees and decided to try and copy one of their decorating ideas. They didn't have a regular tree topper, instead they made it look like the top of the tree was exploding with color and glitter. This was when I also decided to quit wrapping my ribbon around the tree and instead let it trail down the tree. 

I really liked this one.

While I liked the exploding tree top, I missed my star. Last year I tried to make some hybrid exploding star creation. I can't say I was too happy with the outcome. 


Forward to the current year. I got my beautiful white tree. While I would love to change all the ornaments to red and black I'm sticking with the red and sliver, for now. 


Really the only thing I can think to show you how I might decorate a tree different is how I do my ribbon on the tree. I usually use 2 to 3 different ribbons. I just buy regular ribbon that is normally used for present wrapping. I also have been using some of that mesh ribbon that has been popping up everywhere lately. I like how it looks, you can see through it and it's sparkly, but it's not easy to work with. The mesh I have is probably 4- 5 inches in width. I layer thinner ribbon on top of that, maybe 2 inches in width. The thinner ribbon also matches my tree skirt. I start at the top of the tree and tuck in the ribbon under a branch. It sticks to the tree pretty well. I then twist it lightly like you would streamers. Every so often down the length of the tree I wrap one of the branches around the ribbon to anchor it instead of it just hanging loosely down. 


I anchor it this way around 3 times down the tree and just let the bottom hang loose. This new tree is a bit taller so my ribbon doesn't quite come all the way to the bottom, but it's close.  I have 5 different lines of ribbon around the tree. I might do them a bit closer and use more but I don't have anymore of the ribbon with the bows on it, which matches my tree skirt. 


Next, add ornaments. There, you're done. Seriously, I don't have any secret to doing this. I do tend to buy the more unique ornaments instead of the round ball ones. I do have some of those, but I like the ones that are different looking. 



I also try and put a few ornaments further into the tree instead of just hanging on the tips of the branches. This is something that really works well with a white tree because the ornaments stand out so much better. 



Another little secret I have is trying to make my fake tree smell like a real tree. I really love the scent of a real tree and besides having my Christmas candles each year I hang scent sticks in the tree. If you can't find these sticks look for special Christmas car air fresheners and hang them somewhere in the back or inside of the tree. 


Now we are done. Sit back, grab some Eggnog, turn on the Christmas music and enjoy. It's going to be over before you know it. 













No comments:

Post a Comment